Thank you to everyone who participated in Plastic Free July! For those of you still looking for inspiration year-round, the following are some great ideas that CuriOdyssey staff shared.
A great way to lead your family conservation plan and try living waste free is to start with simple substitutions! It’s never too early to practice sustainability for kids.
Get inspired, try one today:
- Bring your own reusable net bags for produce, not using the plastic bags stores supply.
- Invest in a reusable water bottle…and use it!
- Save pasta sauce jars and use instead of Tupperware.
- Buy coffee at a store, not using the plastic lid.
- Buy canned drinks in bulk in the cardboard boxes (avoid plastic six-pack rings!)
- Save every plastic bag to use as a poop bag for your pets.
- Use a wooden toothpick, not those plastic ones I see everywhere on the ground!
- Use a wooden toothbrush (consider how many plastic toothbrushes go into your local landfill/body of water).
- Best reusable plastic jar is a “Talenti” ice cream jar with a screw top lid. Lots of uses.
- Wearing all-cotton clothing!
- Finding alternatives to plastic cling wrap- beeswrap, for example.
- Reuse Ziploc bags by washing them out and letting them air dry (just like your dishes!).
- Make your own shampoo, body wash, soap, etc.
- If you eat a lot of energy bars, look up recipes online and try making your own!
- Avoid buying bottled water as much as is humanly possible.
- Use a Guppy bag when washing clothes to prevent microplastics from being washed away.
- Look up microplastics, they get into your food!
Keep it going by exploring our other related conservation blogs:
- What is Single-Use Plastic?
- What is Plastic Free July?
- Plastic and Your Health
- Our Clothing: The Hidden Source of Plastic Pollution
- Tips for Packing a Plastic-Free Lunch