STEAM Educator Position PT
The mission of CuriOdyssey is to inspire a love for science and curiosity about the world to create a brighter future. Located in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo County, CuriOdyssey has undergone a major reinvention and full strategic planning process that has transformed the organization into a vital, kid-centric interactive science center and accredited California Native Animal Wildlife Zoo that provides up-close and personal experiences with the natural world. The organization is comprised of a strategic and engaged Board of Trustees, visionary executive leadership, and talented, energetic, and entrepreneurial staff.
We are seeking an individual that reflects our institutional personality & values, can work collaboratively on a team, and displays excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Someone who respects children as intelligent learners and is committed to making the learning process authentic, fun, and engaging is most effective.
A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate adaptability in a fast-paced work environment, a high degree of independence, proactive problem-solving skills, and an open mind to view challenges as learning opportunities.
We are looking for a skilled STEAM, (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art/Animal, and Math), Educator who facilitates experiences with tools for the foundation of knowledge and learner-driven discovery and supports the development of the whole child.
Role and Responsibilities of a STEAM Science Educator:
- Facilitate and engage youth, teachers, and/or visitors in a variety of STEAM educational programs and experiences such as camps, classes, and workshops that happen on and off-site, in-person and online.
- Serve as a lead educator and co-teach programs within the educational portfolio. Note: In-person programs are conducted adhering to current county, state, and federal health and safety guidelines. Programs and classes will adapt as health and safety guidelines change.
- Support our seasonal camp sessions in winter, spring, and summer.
- Mentor seasonal Camp Leader Staff and Leader in Training teen volunteers.
- Work with Education Operations + Communications Manager to communicate and collaborate with learners’ caregivers/guardians keeping them informed and discussing how to provide the best learning environment for the child.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of STEAM content and activities that are rich, authentic, and learner-driven.
- Collaborate within and across teams toward the achievement of strategic department and organizational initiatives.
- Participate in optional interdepartmental staff-led committees.
- Maintain workshop materials and spaces and suggest the purchase of low stock essential supplies.
- Participate in ongoing training, including program animal handling, etc.
Desired Qualities of a STEAM Educator:
- At least 2 years of related experience/training as an educator for children, preferably at an informal or cultural institution such as a zoo, museum, or interpretive center.
- Experience with hands-on inquiry and/or project-based content development for children
- Enthusiasm for supporting learners with a broad range of cognitive abilities
- Demonstrated track record of program facilitation with a high degree of social and emotional competency.
- The ideal teammate will have professional and/or lived experience with values of diversity, equity, accessibility & inclusion, and embrace organizational aspirations to create a welcoming and affirming environment for all staff, volunteers and guests.
About the STEAM Educator Position:
- This is a non-exempt, 20-hour/week position, with work hours/schedule based upon program season and departmental needs.
- Occasional weekend/holiday scheduling for certain programs and/or events.
- This position requires the following:
- Take and clear a Live Scan background check.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster
- Current Child/Adult First Aid/CPR/AED Certification or willingness to obtain
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demands herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions.
Environment: Work is conducted at CuriOdyssey, the immediate local space at Coyote Point, and offsite schools. Programs will take place indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions.
Mobility: Physical ability and endurance to occasionally carry and lift heavy materials, up to 50 pounds. Frequently move from a sitting to a standing position. Traversing uneven surfaces, bending, reaching, sitting on the floor with children and twisting are daily repetitive physical actions. Off-site programs will take place at school organizations in San Mateo County using the CuriOdyssey vehicle.
- Respond to the emotional needs of children
- Communicate with caregivers with both empathy and candor
- Be present and aware of the physical safety of children, including properly identifying and reporting potential child abuse
- Interruptible and able to juggle multiple tasks
- Change priorities and “think on your feet.”
Benefits and Compensation
Pay rate: $24/hour
Benefits include CuriOdyssey membership and CuriOdyssey Shop discount
Please send a resume, cover letter, and at least three references to the Education Department at the email address: jobs(at)curiodyssey.org with “PT STEAM Educator” in the subject line.
CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work team and encourages applications from candidates who will add to that diversity. CuriOdyssey is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace and we are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission. CuriOdyssey considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.