Environmental Policy Statement
CuriOdyssey strives to weave conservation and sustainability into our core operations and organizational culture through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we will adopt the following policies and practices:
- Promote environmental stewardship, education, and outreach to become a leader of conservation and sustainability in our community.
- Conserve energy, water, and natural resources to sustain people and the planet in the future.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle to minimize our waste footprint.
- Purchase environmentally preferable products to protect employee health and the health of our planet.
Environmental Stewardship, Education & Outreach
- Engage our visitors, students, and community in conservation programming and action to inspire environmental stewardship.
- Provide training, resources, and enrichment to staff and volunteers about environmentally friendly practices to move towards a culture of sustainability.
- Create opportunities for our community to connect with and take action to restore and protect local habitats and wildlife.
- Support and partner with conservation projects and research benefitting local habitats and wildlife.
- Prioritize partnerships with environmentally conscious and responsible organizations and vendors, including for events hosted at CuriOdyssey.
- Continue to develop our policies and practices to align with best sustainable practices.
- Use a minimum of 50% solar and wind derived electricity.
- Promote the use of energy efficient lighting and turn off lights when not in use.
- Encourage carbon-cutting commutes including carpooling and biking.
- Conserve water by using low flow aerators, efficient toilets, and more.
- Consider resource efficiency when designing new exhibits, pop-up exhibits, and features of the building in the future.
- Choose reusable items rather than single-use whenever possible, including for staff gatherings.
- Go paperless whenever possible and print on both sides when not.
- Offer compost and recycling to staff, volunteers and visitors for all materials accepted in San Mateo.
- Seek out ways to divert materials from the landfill by repurposing, donating, reselling, or recycling.
Environmentally Conscious Purchasing & Disposal
- Buy and use products that contain recycled materials when available.
- Choose products with the least packaging (minimize plastic, polystyrene, and aerosol).
- Avoid harmful and harsh chemical cleaners.
- Recycle Universal Wastes (e-waste, batteries) and avoid purchasing hazardous products.