Leader In Training Program
The Leader in Training (LIT) volunteer program, designed for teens entering 9th-12th grade in fall 2023, combines leadership development, science education, and environmental stewardship into one exceptional experience! Selected participants will develop their leadership abilities, responsibility, and independent decision-making while demonstrating their public speaking skills and scientific knowledge. Partnering with CuriOdyssey Educators, LITs help facilitate camp activities, prepare camp materials, and supervise campers for Camp CuriOdyssey 2023.
Required Training: June 12-16, 2023 (9:00 am - 4:00 pm each day)
A minimum of three weeks (120 hours) of Camp CuriOdyssey support between June 20 and August 18, plus ten hours of volunteer service during the academic year.
Application Process: The applicant must complete their application and obtain two written recommendation letters by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, March 15, 2023. Applicants will be contacted within two weeks regarding their application status.
- Assist staff in facilitating science-based activities
- Supervise and be a positive role model for campers/visitors
- Assist staff in preparing program materials and activities
- Engage youth in student driven science/engineering activities
- A creative and curious person to be a good role model for children
- Interest in STEM and the natural world
- Responsible, and willing to take initiative
- Works well with others
The physical demands herein are representative of those that must be met by an LIT to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Environment: Volunteer work is conducted at CuriOdyssey and immediately local space at Coyote Point. Camp will take place indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions.
Mobility: Physical ability and endurance to occasionally carry and lift heavy materials, up to 50 pounds. Frequently move from a sitting to standing position. Traversing uneven surfaces, bending, reaching, sitting on the floor with children and twisting are daily repetitive physical actions.
Topics will include:
- Enhancing your communication skills
- Science and engineering concepts and practices
- How to engage with campers in meaningful science experiences
- What it means to think critically and solve complex problems
- Centering diversity, equity and inclusion
Minimum Time Commitment:
- Once the training is complete, LITs must contribute a minimum of 120 hours of volunteer service between June 20 and August 18, 2023. This service is generally three full weeks of camp, volunteering 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Please note we will not be having camp on June 19th, July 3rd and 4th.
- LITs are welcome and encouraged to volunteer more than 120 hours.
- Volunteer schedules are determined and confirmed by early May.
- In addition to the summertime commitment, participants must also complete ten hours of facilitating activities alongside CuriOdyssey staff at any of CuriOdyssey’s public programs or events between October 2023 and May 2024. This will enable you to continue to learn and practice your leadership skills year-round.
Training fee: $35
Scholarship funds available. In the application, applicants may request financial assistance to cover the training fee. Ability to pay for training will NOT affect the selection process.
Please submit the Google Form application and recommendation letters no later than 5:00 pm on Wednesday, March 15, 2023. You can send recommendation letters by email to rbenedict(at)curiodyssey.org.
LIT Program Contacts
Romina Benedict, Childhood Education Specialist:
Alexis Bullock, Education Programs Scheduler and Liaison:
SPONSOR AN ANIMAL
Help provide for the care and feeding of our wildlife guests by sponsoring an animal of your choice for a year.
Join the CuriOdyssey Community
1651 Coyote Point Drive
San Mateo, CA 94401
Ohlone Land Acknowledgement
CuriOdyssey is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Tax ID 94-1262434