SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS FOR KIDS
HOW TO MAKE ICE SWIRL GIFT WRAP
Would you try some artistic and fun eco-gift wrap ideas? Ice swirl gift wrap is pretty and reusable!
- One step tie dye powder
- Rubber bands
- Rubber gloves
- Ice cubes
- White or neutral colored cotton cloth (Conservation tip: Upcycle an old shirt or sheet if you don’t want to buy new fabric.)
THEN DO THIS:
1. Shape the cloth any way you like. Feel free to experiment with twists, bundles, or crumples for interesting patterns. Secure with rubber bands.
2. Place the cloth in the colander over a tray and pour ice to cover. Different shapes and sizes of ice cubes can make surprising patterns!
3. Lightly sprinkle the ice with dye powder. Mix as many colors as desired.
4. Let this project sit for at least 8 hours so that the dye can set in the fabric. Allow the ice to melt slowly for best results.
5. Remove fabric from colander and take off the rubber bands. Hang to dry and your custom, reusable giftwrap is ready to go! For helpful hints on how to use your cloth, search the internet for “furoshiki wrapping.”
This animal is not on exhibit in the habitats. It is one of our Animal Ambassadors and is used in public and school programs.