SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS FOR KIDS
BUBBLE ART GIFT WRAP
Do you want to try an eco-friendly alternative to holiday wrapping paper? It’s recyclable and artistically beautiful!
- Brown, pink or white butcher paper
- Tempera paint
- Dawn soap
- Glycerin or karo syrup (it helps but isn’t necessary).
- 4 oz cups, or other small cups
- Cookie sheet, (cafeteria tray shown) with shallow lip
THEN DO THIS:
- Gently stir glycerin into water 1:4 ratio.
- Gently stir dawn soap into glycerin/water solution 1:2 ratio.
- Gently stir paint into glycerin/water/soap solution 1:1 ratio.
- Repeat for different paint colors.
- Wet the bottom of the cookie sheet, pan, or tray and place on top of newspaper.
- Blow through the straw into the glycerin/water/soap/paint solution until the bubbles bulge over the rim of the cup.
- Gently press the paper onto the bubbles. Repeat! Set on top of newspaper to dry.
- Colors too faint? Add more paint!
- Bubbles pop too quickly? Add more glycerin!
- What shapes do you notice in the bubbles?
- What happened where the colors overlapped?
- What happens when you blow the bubbles on the paper with the straw?
This animal is not on exhibit in the habitats. It is one of our Animal Ambassadors and is used in public and school programs.