Highschool Environmental Action Team
CuriOdyssey is a serious science playground and zoo. Our exhibits and educational programs inspire excitement, curiosity, and discovery through distinctive, interactive experiences. Our mission is to help children acquire the tools to deeply understand the changing world.
As an organization and as a member of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums, we value sustainability and conservation. We are also a San Mateo County Certified Green Business. CuriOdyssey works to continuously evaluate our practices and priorities to become increasingly sustainable and aims to be a leader of conservation within our community.
Volunteers on the Highschool Environmental Action Team will collaborate with staff, other volunteers, and community members to design, propose, and carry out projects focused on conservation and sustainability. The initial project will likely focus on engaging kids or schools throughout the county in conservation.
Download PDF of this position description.
Mission: As highschoolers in a changing world, we are committed to advocating for conservation education and action.
- Collaborate with other team members to design, propose, and lead conservation and sustainability projects in our community
- Take ownership of the team and work to further develop the projects, priorities, schedule, and more
- Engage other youth and community members in sustainability and conservation
- Passion for and interest in sustainability and conservation, leadership, and education
- Leadership skills and desire to learn and grow
- Motivated self-starter and creative thinker
- Reliable and flexible
- Excellent communication skills, including some experience with public speaking
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
Commitment: At least one school year, preferably two. We meet from Sept – June every other Wednesday 3:30 – 5:00 PM, collaborate between meetings via google drive, and help with occasional weekend CuriOdyssey events.
- Opportunity to design and complete sustainability projects with observable positive impacts
- Opportunity to enhance your leadership, communication, and design thinking skills.
- Opportunity to gain experience working in a science center and zoo committed to educating young children
- Volunteers receive a 15% discount in CuriOdyssey Shop, tri-annual newsletter, and invitation to enrichment opportunities.
To Apply: Fill out a volunteer application on our website and be sure to mention your interest in HEAT! https://curiodyssey.org/get-involved/volunteer/