While our traditional science camps will not be taking place this summer, CuriOdyssey has re-envisioned our summer programs to provide stimulating activities that will ignite children’s curiosity in a format that can be delivered safely for everyone. Below are some policies and procedures that pertain to this summer’s programs and the Cancellation/Refund Program for our traditional camp that was cancelled on May 1, 2020. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We are looking forward to a wonderful summer and can’t wait to see you (online)!
Summer Programs Policies & Procedures
CuriOdyssey will be providing campers a materials kit to effectively engage in some camp activities. When you registered you chose if you wanted your kit mailed to you or pick-up at CuriOdyssey. If you chose to pick-up your child’s kit at CuriOdyssey, kits will be ready and available for pick-up Tuesdays between 4:00pm-5:00pm starting June 2. Safety and staff resources prevent us from having greater kit pick-up opportunities at this time.
Virtual S.T.E.A.M. Camp Information Nights
Thursday, June 11, 2020; 5:30pm – 6:30pm or,
Thursday, July 9, 2020; 5:30pm-6:30pm or,
Thursday, August 6, 2020; 5:30pm-6:30pm
Join us online for a Virtual S.T.E.A.M. Camp Information Night. Get more details about the online camp experience, meet camp staff, and understand the expectations and support anticipated to make your child’s camp experience engaging and impactful. You only need to attend one meeting. Meeting links will be sent in a separate email.
CuriOdyssey verifies your membership status after you have completed the registration process. Current CuriOdyssey Members (at the time of registration) have a special rate for their camp. Non-members, including memberships that have lapsed or expired, paying the member rate will automatically be charged $40 per camp.
These is the change/refund policy for the Virtual S.T.E.A.M. Camp.
If you need to change your camp session and/or transfer to another, you can do so (provided space is available) up to 7 days prior to the start of your online camp session. There is a $30/camper change fee assessed for each change. If CuriOdyssey requests the change, no fee will be charged.
If you used a credit to pay your camp fees and you cancel your camp, you will receive a credit for any cancelled camps less a $30 cancellation fee.
Refunds are based on when you cancel your camp. You will get 50% refund if you cancel your camp 14 days prior to the start of your camp week. No refunds will be given with less than 14 days’ notice.
Virtual S.T.E.A.M. Camp cancellation and refund schedule
|Week||50% Refund if cancelled on or before...||No Refund if cancelled on or after...|
|1||June 1, 2020||June 2, 2020|
|2||June 8, 2020||June 9, 2020|
|3||June 15, 2020||June 16, 2020|
|4||June 22, 2020||June 23, 2020|
|5||June 29, 2020||June 30, 2020|
|6||July 6, 2020||July 7, 2020|
|7||July 13, 2020||July 14, 2020|
|8||July 20, 2020||July 21, 2020|
|9||July 27, 2020||July 28, 2020|
|10||August 3, 2020||August 4, 2020|
Information on the cancellation/refund program for our cancelled traditional camp can be found under the tab "Camp CuriOdysseyt Cancellation/Refund Program" below.
Responsible Technology Use Agreement
We will be using Zoom, an online video conferencing service, to bring you our interactive science education classes. This will be a live video conference between your child, other youth, and CuriOdyssey staff and volunteers. You program Zoom Link and Password was in the "Registration Summary" section of your confirmation email. You will NOT need to set up a Zoom account. Below is CuriOdyssey’s “Responsible Use Agreement” intended to help support you and your child to be responsible users and stay safe while using the internet and other communications technologies for this program.
As the parent/guardian for this child…
- I will not share the Zoom link and password to this program with anyone other than the registered participant. Sharing the link/password exposes my child’s program to unintended participants.
- Only registered participants are permitted to watch/participate in the sessions.
- I respect everyone’s right to privacy and will not take or share anyone’s personal information including but not limited to recording online classes, taking screenshots or photographs of other participants faces, household members, messages or work. I may share images of my child’s work as I wish.
- I will discuss and communicate to my child about polite and responsible communication with others while participating in CuriOdyssey online programs. This will include refraining from the use of strong, aggressive or inappropriate language and images and not participating in cyber-bullying (to harass, threaten, embarrass, or target another person using online communication technologies).
- Our programs will be live and interactive. Please make sure your child is in an appropriate place where a parent or guardian can monitor the session. Everything within the camera viewing area is visible to the everyone viewing the session.
- Sound and voices can be captured by your devices microphone and heard by others in the Zoom session. CuriOdyssey staff may mute participants for portions of the program if the background noise is affecting the online class. And will unmute participants for discussions or to answer question
Guidelines for Youth Participation During a CuriOdyssey Online Program:
- Refrain from other activities (video games, building LEGOs, listening/watching other music/videos, etc) during the program time. Campers that need to items/objects to help them focus (stuff animal, squishy ball, etc.) are encouraged.
- Participant user name needs to match the registered camper name and video needs to remain on for purposes of identifying appropriate program participants.
- Background images may be used, if desired, but cannot be inappropriate, offensive, or vulgar in nature and must not pose as a distraction to others in class. Educators reserve the right to disable a participant’s video, if deemed necessary.
- Campers will be only be able to Zoom Chat with CuriOdyssey educators (Zoom Hosts). Teachers reserve the right to enable or disable chat functionality as is necessary.
- If a camper experiences or feels any behavior is inappropriate they should report the issue(s) to the parent/guardian and/or appropriate CuriOdyssey staff person if applicable.
CuriOdyssey will do their best to provide a safe online experience for the youth participants yet cannot guarantee or control that actions of other participants online or that they will follow these guidelines.
At CuriOdyssey we have been challenged with trying to plan for our traditional summer program with little to no information about the future. It has become clear that CuriOdyssey’s long standing summer camp model won’t be able to support the essential health and safety requirements set out by local and state health officials as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our number one priority has always been the safety of our campers, their families and our staff. Therefore, the camp program you registered for will not be taking place this summer.
For this summer’s cancelled camp, we have developed a cancellation/refund program with 4 options for the camp fees you have paid.
Option 1: Refund
How this works: Your camp fees will be fully refunded back to the credit card used to register for camp and be completed on the following schedule:
- June camps refunded on June 1, 2020
- July camps refunded on July 1, 2020
- August camps refunded on August, 1, 2020
The fine print: If you registered for camps over multiple months your refund will be for all the camps and done based on the most recent camp. For example, if you registered for camps in June, July and August we will refund all the camp sessions on June 1, 2020. A refund will be our default option.
Option 2: Credit
How this works: Your camp fees will be credited to Active.com account for future use with a CuriOdyssey program.
If you choose a credit:
- Credit balances can be used for any CuriOdyssey program over the next 12 months (including summer camp 2021)
- Camp spots will be reserved for summer 2021 camp program (camp for camp)
- A 7% discount will be applied to any additional 2021 camps if you maintain a current CuriOdyssey membership
The fine print: Camp fees will be credited by June 1 for all camps. Credit balances can be used anytime over 12 months from the date of the credit. Credit balances are not transferable or refundable.
Option 3: Donate
How this works: Designate your camp fees as a donation to CuriOdyssey and support the care of our animals and science education.
If you choose to donate:
- Camp fees will be considered a tax-deductible donation.
- Be acknowledged as a contributor to CuriOdyssey (you can request for your donation to be anonymous)
- Camp spots will be reserved for summer 2021 camp program (camp for camp)
- A 5% discount will be applied to any additional 2021 camps if you maintain a current CuriOdyssey membership
The fine print: Donations are non-refundable.
Option 4: Partial Refund
How this works: A partial refund can be made for camps and the remaining camp fees can be applied as a credit or donation.
If you choose a partial refund:
- If you choose a partial refund and credit for other camps you will get all the benefits of option 2 for credited camps.
- If you choose a partial refund and donate other camps you will get all the benefits of option 3 for donated camps.
The fine print: Donations and credits are non-refundable.
To accurately and efficiently process your camp fees the way you would like please complete this simple form.
Many staff are still working remotely from the safety of their homes. Email will be the quickest way to contact us.
Carl M. Oosterman, Director of Education
Myra Sinkamo, Administrative Coordinator
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are all looking forward to a wonderful, safe, and impactful season where we help kids explore the superpower of science.
Camp CuriOdyssey Staff