Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC)
Volunteer Department / Permanent - FT - Non-exempt / Onsite
The mission of CuriOdyssey is to inspire a love for science and curiosity about the world in young learners. Located in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo County, CuriOdyssey has undergone a major reinvention and full strategic planning process that has transformed the organization into a vital, kid-centric interactive science center and accredited California native animal wildlife zoo that provides up-close and personal experiences with the natural world. The organization is comprised of a strategic and engaged Board of Trustees, visionary executive leadership, and a talented, energetic and entrepreneurial staff.
We are seeking a leader that reflects our institutional personality and values, can work
collaboratively on a team and demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The VEC will help coordinate our existing Volunteer program, which includes onsite and virtual volunteers ranging from high schoolers, working professionals, to retirees. The VEC will support daily operations, new volunteer recruitment and onboarding, ongoing community outreach efforts, and serve as a thought partner on ways to level up existing practices.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- General volunteer management and coordination of a growing team of volunteers
- Managing routine operations including email communication, tracking volunteer hours, posting volunteer opportunities, weekly volunteer announcements and servicing the volunteer desk.
- In collaboration with the Director of Volunteer Engagement, support volunteer recruitment, selection, training, recognition, placement, and other related work as required.
- Coordinator is responsible for managing volunteers and programs within the department, and interdepartmentally.
- Work with departments to identify volunteer needs and develop an effective strategy for sourcing.
- In collaboration with the Education team, coordinate logistics of annual volunteer training.
- Community outreach at local high schools, fairs, and community events to help spread awareness about volunteer needs.
- Collaborate on program evaluation and reporting on all aspects of volunteerism.
- Track, manage, and connect volunteers via Better Impact volunteer database.
- In collaboration with the Director of Volunteer Engagement, support mentor recruitment, selection, training, and placement as required.
- Work in conjunction with STEMCorps Coordinator to plan logistics for virtual mentor training
- Collaborate with the Education department to develop a phased plan to increase Youth Advocacy and Leadership opportunities through volunteerism and community engagement.
- Coordinate implementation of expanded and new programs for middle and high school-aged students.
- Support the achievement of STEMCorps programmatic goals and objectives, including STEMCorps Mentors, and STEMCorps Youth Leaders, in collaboration with the Director of Education and Director of Volunteer Engagement.
Third Thursdays @CuriOdyssey
- Support efforts to build and retain followers at monthly STEM networking event.
- In collaboration with Director of Volunteer Engagement, Marketing, and Events, plan and execute every aspect of recurring event.
- Cross-collaborate on event promotion via website, social media, local community, and corporate partners.
- Manage Eventbrite registration, set up & breakdown of event space, guest speaker & staff support.
- 2+ years of related experience working with volunteers and program management, preferably at a non-profit, or cultural institution such as a zoo, museum, or in the STEM industry.
- Demonstrated ability to write professionally in a clear and concise manner. Writing sample is required.
- Must possess impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Enthusiasm for providing educational opportunities to young people, including those historically underrepresented in STEM environments.
- Creative, design-thinking mindset that has experience with and/or enthusiasm for taking a program from pilot to scale.
- Demonstrated track record of program facilitation and collaboration with a high degree of social and emotional competency.
- The ideal teammate will have professional and/or lived experience with values of diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion, and embrace organizational aspirations to create a welcoming and affirming environment for all staff, volunteers and guests.
ABOUT THE VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR POSITION
- This is a non-exempt, 40 hour/week position, with work hours/schedule based upon program season and departmental needs.
- Occasional nights/weekend/holiday scheduling for certain programs and/or events.
- This position requires the following:
- Take and clear a Live Scan background check.
- Mandated reporter training
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions.
Environment: Work is conducted at CuriOdyssey and immediately local space at Coyote Point. Programs will take place indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions.
Mobility: Physical ability and endurance to occasionally carry and lift heavy materials, up to 50 pounds. Frequently move from a sitting to standing position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay Rate: $24/hour
This is a non-exempt full-time position with a desired start date of (immediately). The general work schedule varies according to program needs and is Tues. – Sat. 9:00am – 6:00pm
Benefits include: individual medical, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, CuriOdyssey membership, CuriOdyssey Shop discount, camp discounts for children of staff.
- Send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references to Tonaka Kendrick, jobs(at)curiodyssey.org with “Volunteer Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Candidates are subject to background checks.
- NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work team and encourages applications from candidates who will add to that diversity. CuriOdyssey is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enable us to better meet our mission. CuriOdyssey considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other identifiable status.
Join the CuriOdyssey Community
1651 Coyote Point Drive
San Mateo, CA 94401
Ohlone Land Acknowledgement
CuriOdyssey is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Tax ID 94-1262434