The mission of CuriOdyssey is to inspire a love for science and curiosity about the world to create a brighter future. Located in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo County, CuriOdyssey has undergone a major reinvention and full strategic planning process that has transformed the organization into a vital, kid-centric interactive science center and accredited California Native Animal Wildlife Zoo that provides up-close and personal experiences with the natural world. The organization is comprised of a strategic and engaged Board of Trustees, visionary executive leadership, and a talented, energetic, and entrepreneurial staff.
The primary role of the Instructional Designer (ID) will be to advance excellence in online, hybrid, and in-person teaching and learning through the support of CuriOdyssey Education Specialists and Educators. The (ID) will assist in the development and delivery of web-based and face-to-face visitor curricula, professional development programs, and advanced practical uses of technology in all modes of instruction. This individual will be responsible for developing instructional materials in collaboration with the Education Team.
We are looking for an Instructional Designer who is idea-driven, comes from a teaching or training background, and is passionate about making learning an invigorating and empowering experience. The Instructional designer can expect to work with subject matter experts, a diverse range of formats, and multimedia production platforms. Other responsibilities include developing objectives, rewriting and reshaping content, and developing assessments.
Successful Instructional Designers should have a firm grasp of how people learn, have an understanding of web design, and have excellent writing, communication, and collaboration skills. Ideally, the perfect candidate should also have experience in managing projects and a working knowledge of basic graphic design.
Role and Responsibilities of an Instructional Designer:
- Prepare student-facing support materials for online, hybrid instruction, or lab experiences, in consultation and/or collaboration with the Education Team.
- Assist the Education Team with the selection of instructional strategies and articulation of measurable course and lesson learning outcomes.
- Advocate for and research best practices for teaching and learning.
- Analyze instructional problems and develop and implement potential solutions to these problems.
- Review courses during the design, development, and delivery phases for sound pedagogical and instructional design practices.
- Help incorporate innovative methods of content delivery in online, hybrid, web-enhanced, and face-to-face environments using appropriate technologies.
- Analyze and evaluate new instructional tools and technologies, and recommend appropriate tools and approaches to improve course design and delivery.
- Ensure that online educational resources are accessible, updated, and functioning properly.
- Create engaging learning experiences that develop real-world skills.
- Evaluate new approaches and innovations in instructional design.
- Working with the Education Specialists + Educators to determine lesson objectives, ensuring content matches established objectives, and structuring content and activities for optimizing learning across all abilities.
- Looking at materials with an Accessibility Lens and making sure that the materials can be accessible for visitors that are visual or hearing impaired.
- Reshaping content for changing needs.
- Creating student guides and training manuals.
- Assess learning needs
- Analyze existing instructional material
- Develop and design curriculum and assessment tools/rubrics
- Manage special projects, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Support Camp staff as needed during Winter, Spring, and Summer sessions - including but not limited to filling in when short-staffed or helping at lunch to supervise campers.
About the Instructional Designer Position:
- This is an exempt, 40-hour/week position, with work hours/schedule based upon program season and departmental needs.
- Occasional weekend/holiday scheduling for certain programs and/or events.
- This position requires the following:
- Take and clear a Live Scan background check.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster
- Current Child/Adult First Aid/CPR/AED Certification or willingness to obtain
A Bachelor’s degree in instructional design, education, curriculum & instruction, or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a least twelve (12) credit hours of instructional design coursework is required. Two (2) years of experience in instructional design and/or curriculum design, including working directly on the design and delivery of online and hybrid courses is required, as is experience using Learning Management Systems. A criminal background check will be conducted.
- Teaching or training background beneficial
- Passion for learning
- Familiar with website design, video technology, and editing
- Understanding of varied learning styles
- Knowledge of assessment and evaluation methods
- Effective collaboration across teams to advance department and organization goals
- Excellent organizational and time-management abilities.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work independently and make independent judgments.
- Articulate the cognitive and instructional principles behind your work and your approach to the content you create.
- Effectively communicate orally and in written form so that the information you produce is accessible and understandable to various audiences.
- The ideal teammate will have professional and/or lived experience with values of diversity, equity, accessibility & inclusion, and embrace organizational aspirations to create a welcoming and affirming environment for all staff, volunteers and guests.
A Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred, as is teaching experience, particularly online teaching. Experience with online classroom management systems, knowledge of universal design and creation of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant online courses, and proficiency with multimedia authoring tools are all preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
This position requires a highly motivated self-starter skilled in creating learning objectives, learning activities, and assessments. The ideal candidate should be able to present and competently deliver their content and material to CuriOdyssey staff, as well as have experience with project management. The successful candidate must possess the ability to deliver engaging, interactive, audience-centered products and experiences. Develop and maintain collaborative, professional relationships inside and outside of CuriOdyssey, prioritize efficiently, and manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as proactively solve problems. The Instructional Designer must be able to work independently, as well as work as a team member, and possess excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. Familiarity with classroom technologies, as well as, the Microsoft & Google Suite of Office Applications, and other productivity and multimedia software are also required. In this position, one must work well with students, admin, and staff at all levels within a diverse, multicultural, collaborative environment.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to:
Education Department at the email address: jobs(at)curiOdyssey.org with “Instructional Designer” in the subject line.
Benefits and Compensation
Pay rate: $65,000-70,000/year
Benefits include individual medical, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, CuriOdyssey membership, CuriOdyssey Shop discount, and camp discounts for children of staff.
Resume/Curriculum Vitae, cover letter, and at least 3 professional references
CuriOdyssey seeks to build a diverse work team and encourages applications from candidates who will add to that diversity. CuriOdyssey is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace and we are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission. CuriOdyssey considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.