What Is CuriOdyssey?
CuriOdyssey is a premier serious science playground and we give kids the power of real science.
Children are innately curious and experimental; they are natural scientists. At CuriOdyssey, kids can make discoveries at their own pace, one brain-building revelation after another.
We give kids the power to ask “What if?” Kids learn about science and animals best out in the world, not behind a desk or in front of a screen. We let kids loose to observe what is, think about what could be and let the natural world answer their questions.
Here, young people can explore interactive science exhibits and have up-close encounters with native California animals (our 100 animals are rescued or non-releasable).
- Science exhibits: Children do real science as they play with exhibits designed to let them experiment with nature’s surprising and beautiful phenomena.
- Wildlife exhibits: Visitors get up-close views of native California animals. CuriOdyssey is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Fewer than 10% of zoos and aquariums nationwide are accredited by AZA.
- Animal Ambassadors and Wildlife programs: A world-class team of wildlife educators lead exciting programs presenting our animal ambassadors including birds, small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and more. Volunteers show animals and visitors can touch the animals as they learn.
- School science programs: Our expert science educators teach popular interactive education programs and wildlife programs both on-site and in-schools.
- Public education programs: Our educators lead intriguing education and wildlife programs for the general public. Children and families investigate, discover, and interact with natural world phenomena in workshops, presentations, and camps.
An award-winning, popular destination
More than 170,000 Bay Area children and families were touched by CuriOdyssey last year. In just the few short years since we morphed into a serious science playground, CuriOdyssey has been recognized as a leader in informal science education:
- In 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 we were recognized as the “Best Museum on the Peninsula” by the readers of Bay Area Parent Magazine.
- In 2010 we were recognized with the Nickelodeon “Parent’s Pick Award” for Best Museum in the San Francisco Area.
- In 2009 the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) presented Rachel Meyer, Executive Director, the “Roy L. Shafer Leading Edge Award for Experienced Leadership in the Field.”
- In 2009 our exhibition, “The Science of Nature,” was an international finalist for the Association of Science-Technology Centers’ (ASTC) Roy L. Shafer Leading Edge Award for Visitor Experience.
Science education is more important than ever and we want to give it the attention it deserves. That’s why we made it our mission to change the face of science education one child at a time. Visit us to discover how science education can transform our world and your child’s.